You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-11 21:29:21

ika

AMD64 PC In the trash!

Today I found an AMD64 PC in the trash near my house. I think that it must have been one of the first models to offer 64-bit CPU's, because there was an AMD64 sticker on the computer. It runs windows 7 in Chinese, and I don't know how to change it to English. It had a Hewlitt-Packard Insignia on it in several places. I am considering what to do with it, I may install TempleOS on it, however I am unsure about that. I also could install MINIX or Windows 2000. I still have to think about this. Maybe I will install a bootloader, so I don't have to choose? It will take time that I don't have right now, so right now I am just happy to have it. It seems like a great machine to use as an optimization target for my programs. I will upload a picture:

oxbSrSA.jpg

I put some free software stickers on it. But, it doesn't run any free software.

#2 2017-09-11 22:47:12

garry
Administrator

Re: AMD64 PC In the trash!

Wow, that is really neat, and welcome to the forum,
I think if it was me , I would install "Free Dos" first, mostly just to check it out (the PC),
and also to get rid of the MS windows,..

If you do decide to try Minx, use the "snapshot" ,  for the current Minix 3.4
http://download.minix3.org/iso/snapshot/
The 3.3 does not have any Xorg or X , and it is kind of complicated to try to install separately . 
With 3.4 it will have a Window Manager,(TWM) basic, but at least something.
  OpenBsd would probably be a more use full system and should run fine on that as well.
Hope you keep us posted as to how this progresses.

#3 2017-09-12 03:56:18

ika

Thanks for the link, I hadn't looked into Minix before so I would have had to find that myself... Right now, I've got it running my TempleOS LiveCD (I lost my old one, so I had to burn a new one) I'll make another post here when I install a new OS.

#4 2017-09-12 10:21:58

garry
Administrator

I had never heard of TempleOS, but did a search .  So any way you know it is working ,...

Board footer